Friday, January 7, 2011

Glorified for Him

"Jesus spoke these things; and lifting up His eyes to heaven, He said, 'Father, the hour has come; glorify Your Son, that the Son may glorify You..." - John 17:1

Jesus was praying just before he was arrested and put on trial, etc. He prayed for Himself (17:1-5); He prayed for His disciples (17:6-19); He prayed for everyone that believes in Him (17:20-26).

I was having a conversation with a co-worker the other day. He was telling me that he and his mother used to get into arguments about whether or not Christians should focus on getting rich and getting money. One of them took the stance that God wants to bless His children, the other took the stance that the love of money is the root of all evil. But, here in John, Jesus asks to be glorified so that He could glorify God. Jesus WAS (and is) God. So the act of God glorifying Jesus would automatically glorify God because Jesus is God.

But, get this - Jesus is in us (those who have accepted Jesus as our Lord and Saviour). We are in relationship with Him. He has cleaned our souls, given us new hearts, and shown us His eternal grace and mercy. When God blesses us, He is glorifying Himself. This is not necessarily about money - that was just an example. But whether it be money, or God blessing you with being good with words or being comfortable in front of crowds, it is always for His glory.

Jesus' heart was not for God to glorify Him so He could hoard the glory. Jesus wanted to be glorified so that He could, with His very life and every word and action, point back to God - the source of all life. The lesson this teaches me is to continuously analyze the state of my heart - the heart that God gave me. Make sure that my heart is in the right place. I want to win the lottery. Why do I want to win the lottery? What do I want to do with it? I want to do ministry. Why do I want to do ministry? Who has God put on my heart to reach or to minister to?

The bottom line is this: no matter what you do, where you go, or how much money you do ro don't have - no matter what God has blessed you with (A) recognize that it comes from God, and (B) always give it back to God and always give the credit to God. Use those blessings and those gifts to glorify God. Be the light to the world that God has called us to be.

Lord, I thank You and praise You. Thank You for Your grace and mercy. Thank You for the glory You bestow on us, in us, and through us. Father, I pray for myself and anyone else reading this that You would give us "see-through" vision. Help us see through the situation to the purpose You have for us in that situation. Help us see the gifts You've given us and how we can use them to glorify You. Give us the strength and courage to do so. I love You and praise You. In the name of Jesus I pray - Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! I would love to hear from you. Let me know what you're thinking, how you're feeling...or just say hello.