Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Daniel: Day 3

Daniel 3 is the chapter where Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego were thrown into the furnace because they refused to bow down to the golden statue that Nebuchadnezar had built. But, I love it. They did the difficult thing - they stood up for what they believe in. Not only did they stand up for God, but they were ready to face whatever consequence God would allow them to face for it.

Here's the thing about faith - God doesn't necessarily take us out of the scary situation. Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego were all actually thrown into the furnace. But God will deliver us from evil. In this case, God saved the three from burning. Did the three of them know that they would not be burned? I bet they didn't. I bet they figured they would die every bit as much as everyone else. Their faith wasn't in that God would rescue them - their faith was in that they knew that no matter what happened, it was God's will. They cared more about doing the right thing and what God wanted than what was comfortable or easy or what they wanted.

Daniel 3:16-18 - "Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego replied to the king, 'O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to give you an answer concerning this matter. If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the furnace of blazing fire; and He willdeliver us out of your hand, O king. But, even if He does not, let it be known to you, O king, that we are not going to serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up."

So, they knew God could deliver them unharmed and they had faith in His ability. But they knew full well that He might not save them from the fire. But whether He saved them from the fire or not, they knew He would deliver them from the king.

So, what can I do to be more like Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego? What has the world told me to bow down to every time it passes by? What has the enemy told me to worship? What is it I need to say no to?

Those are good questions to ponder.

Lord, I love You and I praise You. Thank You for Your grace and mercy. Father, I pray for strength of conviction, strength of will, discernment, understanding, knowledge, and wisdom. And I pray for those things for anyone reading this. And Lord, above all else, I pray that Your perfect will be done on earth as it is in heaven. In your Name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! I would love to hear from you. Let me know what you're thinking, how you're feeling...or just say hello.