Thursday, January 20, 2011

Daniel: Day 9

So I Gave My Attention To The Lord God

"...I, Daniel, observed in the books the number of the years which was revealed as the word of the Lord to Jeremiah the prophet for the completion of the desolations of Jerusalem...So I gave my attention to the Lord God to seek Him by prayer and supplications, with fasting, sackcloth and ashes." Daniel 9:2-3

I spent a lot of time in my car today. I had to drive 2 1/2 hours over to an Army base to do some paperwork and then drive the 2 1/2 hours to come back home. Well, since Nicole's and my schedule doesn't allow us the opportunity to get over to church on a regular basis, I've been downloading podcasts of a church I would like us to start going to when she and I eventually move out to San Diego. And for me, the best way to stay awake while driving for multiple hours is to listen to something that engages my brain. Music puts me to sleep. But NPR - that keeps me awake. And these church service podcasts kept me awake for the same reason - because my brain was actively engaged in listening.

Well, the pastor of that church was doing a long 21 week series on how to study the Bible and how to deepen our relationship with God. And I started reading tonight and this 2nd and 3rd verse of Daniel 9 caught my attention and reminded of some of the stuff the pastor has been talking about. But, look at those two verses. Daniel was studying the books that today we know as the Old Testament. And in particular, he was reading through Jeremiah. He noticed that Jeremiah prophesied the "completion of the desolations of Jerusalem." That just means that Israel's captivity was going to be over soon. But, instead of throwing a party and going wild, what did Daniel do? He gave his attention to the Lord. And not only did he give his attention to God, but he went to God to confess all of the sins of disobedience and a lack of humility and walking away from God. He thanked God for His grace, mercy, and forgiveness but even when the end of captivity was in sight Daniel went to God and basically apologized for all of the sins of Israel. He kept himself humble and he kept his eyes on God.

In verse 13 of the same chapter, Daniel says, "As it is written in the law of Moses, all this calamity has come on us; yet we have not sought the favor of the Lord our God by turning from our iniquity and giving attention to Your truth."

So, even after all that they did, all that they saw, and all that God rescued them from they still ignored God and lifted themselves above God. So..."the Lord has kept the calamity in store and brought it on us; for the Lord our God is righteous with respect to all His deeds which He has done..." (verse 14).

This is a prime example of who not to be - of what not to do. Do not ignore God. Do not ignore that still small voice that prompts you to do what's right. It may be more difficult, but walk according to what you know in your heart is the right way to walk. Be the man or woman that stands up for your convictions and stands up for God. You don't have to be a Bible thumper. You don't have to be overwhelming, but just do what is right and don't lose sight of God. Own up to your shortcomings and failures, but take them to God and let Him free you from the burden of failure. You will not get it right. You will mess up. But God is big enough to cover all of your mistakes - He already did it 2000 years ago when He put His Son on a cross to act as the perfect sacrifice.

"It is by his deeds that a lap distinguishes himself if his conduct is pure and right." Proverbs 20:11

Lord, God - I love You and I praise You. Thank You for grace and mercy. Thank You for Your forgiveness. Lord, I confess to You and admit that I screw up. I haven't been as close to You as I should be. I haven't been putting in the effort to maintain our relationship. But, I miss You, Lord. I pray for wisdom and knowledge. I pray that You would open my ears to hear Your wise council. I love You. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! I would love to hear from you. Let me know what you're thinking, how you're feeling...or just say hello.