Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Daniel: Day 2

So, it turns out that a drastic change in diet in a very short period of time (read: instantly) equals throwing your body out of whack and almost debilitating headaches. So, my wife and I have decided that we aren't giving up on this fast, but we are changing the parameters. We realized that such a drastic fast was just too unrealistic and unhealthy of a goal. So, we are just going to cut out coffee and candy/deserts out of our diet for the remainder of the fast.

Daniel 2 started to get a little intense. In chapter 2, Nebuchadnezzar had a dream about a statue that was made of different metals and earth. Then a stone dropped on top of it and crushed it all and there was nothing left of it.

Once Daniel began interpreting this dream for the king, it all started to make sense to me. The different metals (as Daniel explained) were all of the different kingdoms from Babylon (the gold head) to Rome (the feet that were iron mixed with clay). The stone that crushed it all was Jesus.
But again, I find myself in a place where a practical application or the "so what" factor isn't obvious to me. A lot of the time, I'll read the Bible and to me it is interesting history or just information that gives me further insight into God and Jesus. But it is important to try and find a way to apply what you're reading - a lesson to be learned; something to take home. And when I start thinking about it, there are a few. But for the sake of time, I'll go with something that I touched on in yesterday's blog: God blesses not just the righteous but everyone else around the righteous as well.

Daniel 2:24 - "Therefore, Daniel went in to Arioch, whom the king had appointed to destroy the wise men of Babylon; he went and spoke to him as follows: 'Do not destroy the wise men of Babylon! Take me into the king's presence, and I will declare the interpretation to the king.'"

Daniel was a brave man. Or maybe bravery had nothing to do with it. He was confident. He was confident in God and therefore had no reason to fear. Nebuchadnezzar had made it clear that whoever was interpreting his dream either got it right or he would be killed. Daniel knew this. He knew that he had one chance. But he had so much faith and confidence in his relationship with God and in the fact that he heard from God that he volunteered himself to be put on the chopping block. But notice what he said in verse 24: "Do not destroy the wise men of Babylon!" The "wise" men that he referred to weren't just the Jews. When he said wise men he was talking about the pagan one's also. He didn't just put his life on the line for his own people, he put his life on the line for the very people that captured his people. He valued human life the way that Jesus values all human life.

And it was partially for their sake that God revealed to Daniel Nebuchadnezzaar's dream and its meaning. It was partially for them that Daniel risked his life to interpret it.

But, ultimately it was for the glory of God that God revealed it to Daniel and Daniel revealed it to the king. Look how the king reacted to Daniel (2:46-47): "Then king Nebuchadnezzar fell on his face and did homage to Daniel...The king answered Daniel and said, 'Surely your God is a God of gods and a Lord of kings and a revealer of mysteries, since you have been able to reveal this mystery.'"

Lord, I love You and praise You. Thank You for Your grace. Thank You for dreams, visions, and the interpretations and meanings to them. Thank You for loving us so much that You are intimately involved in our lives every moment of every day. Thank You for Your mercy. Thank You for Your Son and the forgiveness and salvation that has been granted through Him. Father, I continue to pray for guidance, understanding, discernment, knowledge, and wisdom. I pray for anyone reading this post that You would bless them and enlarge their territory and keep them from evil that it may do no harm. I pray for blessing and protection over me and my family as well. In the name of Jesus I pray all things. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! I would love to hear from you. Let me know what you're thinking, how you're feeling...or just say hello.