Monday, January 10, 2011

Daniel: Day 1

My wife and I were able to go to church yesterday for the first time in a while. Her work schedule doesn't normally give us the opportunity plus our church is about an hour away from us. But, we were able to go yesterday and we found out that starting today our church is doing a 21-day fast. The pastor didn't specify what kind of fast to do just that he asked each of us to fast for 21 days.

So my wife and I decided to do the Daniel fast. But along with the Daniel fast, we are reading one chapter of the book of Daniel every day of the fast (I do realize there are only 12 chapters and we are doing a 21-day fast, but it'll be okay).

So Daniel, Chapter 1.

There wasn't one verse or even just a section of a verse that jumped out at me in this chapter. But what did jump out at me was Daniel's faith and his strength of conviction and the fact that God will bless those around you on account of you. Daniel 1:5a says, "The king appointed for them a daily ration from the king's choice food and from the wine which he drank..."

King Nebuchadnezzar asked his staff to go pick out some "perfect" kids from the Jews which had been captured. They were going to be educated by the Babylonians so they could be liaisons between the Jews and the Babylonians.

But here is what I'm talking about with Daniel's strength of conviction:

Daniel 1:8 - "But Daniel made up his mind that he would not defile himself with the king's choice food or with the wine which he drank; so he sought permission from the commander of the officials that he may
not defile himself."

Daniel's faith in God:

When the commander of the officials told Daniel he couldn't grant Daniel's request because when Daniel and his buddies showed up to court looking gaunt and thin (because they asked to be given only vegetables to eat and water to drink) it would be his head (literally) on the chopping block.

Daniel 1:12 - "Please test your servants for ten days, and let us be given some vegetables to eat and water to drink. Then let our appearance be observed in your presence and the appearance of the youths who are eating the king's choice food; and deal with your servants according to what you find."

Basically, he was saying - give it a test drive. If you find that we look healthy then let us continue to eat how we want; if not, then we'll eat what you tell us to. He acted on his conviction and faith in God and allowed God to take care of the rest.

But the last
thing I noticed was that even though it seems that Daniel was taking the initiative in all of this, God also blessed the other three Jews that were with Daniel. Daniel 1:17 - "As for these four youths, God gave them knowledge and intelligence in every branch of literature and wisdom; Daniel even understood all kinds of visions and dreams."

So what? Why is any of this important? Well here is the application:

Always do what you know and feel to be the right thing to do. But do it with the heart of giving it up to God to let Him do as He sees fit. You do what you are supposed to do and God will not only be there to help you get through the tough times, but He'll bless you and elevate you ABOVE the circumstances. He will guide you through it and land you on top.

Lord, thank You for Your grace and mercy. During this period of fasting, I pray for wisdom and knowledge
. I pray for guidance and understanding. Lord, I ask that You would show my family the direction You want us to go and I pray that You would give us the strength of conviction to go there. I pray for faith where faith is lacking. And I pray that You would bless us as we attempt to go where You want us to go and do what You want us to do. And I only have one question to ask, Father - what do you have for me to do for You today? I love
You and praise You. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! I would love to hear from you. Let me know what you're thinking, how you're feeling...or just say hello.