Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A Warning?

I just had a dream.

If you haven't, yet, read my previous blog post before reading this one.  But, even if you choose not to do that, feel free to read on.

© 2012 dHb Photography, Beach Grass Wallpaper
I was somewhere I'm not familiar with.  It was a military instillation, but I'm not sure which one.  I was at a baseball stadium on base - no...a field, not stadium.  There was some desert grass, steel bleachers, chain-link fence, no dugouts that I can remember seeing and a small home-grown crowd.  The colors in my dream were very drab and sandy.

There was a kid's game being played.

But, earlier in the dream, I was somewhere else on base.  Inside of a brick building.  I was there with people that I did know, but I can't recall right now.  I had a feeling of familiarity with them.  One of them was my supervisor.  My supervisor called me into a room with another person that I don't currently know, but felt like I had a modicum of familiarity with so that she could have a talk with him.  It was a feedback session of some sort.  But, this kid getting the feedback was either not military, new to the military, or didn't take being in the military serious.  He was a little heavy (not super heavy) and his hair wasn't quite in regs.  But, I never got a serious look at his face.

After the feedback session, I went to what I felt like was a sort of classroom.  But, it wasn't a college class (as far as I can tell).  There were only about a dozen other students and the instructor.  The instructor was getting ready to ask where the other kid was (the one from the feedback session) but I told him that he was talking with his supervisor (or some similar excuse).  I feel like the instructor was foreign...or at least spoke English with some sort of accent.  The instructor nodded in understanding.  The classroom was relatively bare.  I remember there being a lot of white, but that could possibly be from the lack of detail about the room that there was in my dream.  It is even possible that this specific classroom could have been outside.

The next thing in my dream is I am walking to the baseball field.  At the time, I feel like it was empty, but after I arrived, I looked up at the 8' or 10' tall bleachers towards the top for the buddy of mine that was in that feedback session.  I barely glanced up and noticed a fighter aircraft flying high and fast.  It was something that caught my eye because of what I currently do...I can't and won't go into that.

I got a sinking feeling in my stomach that is coming back as I type this.  My pace quickened, my heart sank, and just as I was starting to say the words, "That looks suspicious."  I thought to myself, "Could the Iranians be here?  Could they be conducting a bomb run?"  They're one of only a VERY few countries that would be crazy enough to try it." 

USAF F-4 Phantom II dropping munitions
The aircraft - no, this time two of them - came back and dropped something.  I finished the sentence that I had started as the debris with some sort of light on the bottom of it fell and I started quickly walking away.  As I did so I told my friend to come with me.  The sinking feeling in my heart and mind became dire and fight or flight took over and I began to sprint, my friend following.  All I could think about was getting to a secure building...a brick building.  I kept thinking to myself that a brick building was just beyond a berm of sand and desert grass - the tall grass that you find on sand dunes.  The whole time I ran, I could hear what sounded like a high pitch whistle.  The kind of whistle you'd expect to hear from bombs falling out of the sky...just like my three year old dreamed about last night.

If it wasn't for my sleep apnea (which, by the way, hasn't acted up like this in about a year or more) causing me to stop breathing and wake up abruptly, I think I might have saved me and my friend's life by trying to get us to a brick building.  I just kept thinking that I'm grateful for the PT test that up to that point I had passionately hated.

A pair of F-5 Tiger II
But, I'm scared...as I type this I'm scared.  I a little hopeful, but still scared.  It is 2:26 in the morning on a work morning, but I'm scared enough that I am up right now typing this out instead of trying to sleep for work.

I just had this conversation about dreams with my wife the other day.  Because of the dreams she has been having, she was somewhat distraught and confused over them.  Should she believe her dreams or not?  I told her that when I was a kid, I used to have these certain dreams.  Now, don't write me off when I say this, but every time a girl I had been dating was about a week out from breaking up with me, I would dream about it.  Then, about a week after I would have the dream, that girl would break up with me just like she did in the dream.  And I do mean just like it happened in the dream.

There was one time I dreamed about something other than being broken up with that happened, too.  In 9th grade, I was in my English class and our teacher told us to write about a dream we recently had.  So, I picked my most recent dream and I wrote about it.  After a while had passed - long enough for me to have forgotten about the dream - it happened.  The dream played itself out right before my eyes.  I realized it after the events of the night had almost completely played out, but before the end of it I realized that not only did I have a serious case of déjà vu, but I had written about it a few weeks in advance.

So, I don't know if this is nothing, or if this is something.  But, it has me scared.  I will say that the one and only time before that I had dreamed about my own personal harm, it did NOT come true.  So, I guess time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. That is heavy, Clark. I do not know how I would respond to the dreams. You know that if a dream is heavy enough, I take it seriously. I would pray over it and ponder it. But, here is the thing, even if you had stark clarity about it, there are several things to consider.

    A) God is in control. And, for those crazies doing hurtful things, Iranian bomb runs or sex trade abuse, God will straighten the crookedness of their actions.

    B) If this is all you know, then, perhaps that is all you were meant to know. Perhaps it was to push you to train during PT as a cheerful thing, pushing harder and further for some unseen future need. Perhaps it was to take the importance of your job even more to heart, so that one day your intelligence applied saves lives.

    C) If you can ensure that you act with all of your strength in the areas you can control, you should try to let any other fears or worries go.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! I would love to hear from you. Let me know what you're thinking, how you're feeling...or just say hello.